PRESS RELEASE: Fairfax County Balances the FY2020 Budget on the Backs of Mason District Residents.
Annandale, VA. May 8, 2019. For Immediate Release
- Code compliance staffing was cut – even though code compliance is the Number 1 complaint among long standing residents.
- No resources to fund revitalization of Annandale and Bailey’s Crossroads streetscapes, despite the obvious need – even as VDOT plans to pave roads in those areas.
- No resources for Bailey’s Community Center upgrades. Staff’s recommendations could be accomplished for less than $100,000. Instead, the County approved a 2019 Budget amendment to provide $200,000 for civil immigration legal aid.
Unnecessary and costly programs were approved.
- $410,000 per year to provide two medical FTEs to administer to four (4) beds for acute medical care at the new Bailey’s shelter. (There are already free clinics in the area and the current shelter does not provide these services).
The Board of Supervisors raised taxes on Mason District Residents.
- 10% rise in refuse fees
- 11% rise in the sewer base charge; and
- 4-8% rises in other taxes and fees.
Tysons Corner property owners received relief. No relief for Mason.
It is time for a change. Mason District’s representation on the Board of Supervisors has not benefited Mason District over the past 24 years. Another four years will undoubtedly lead to more poor financial decisions including the construction of a $250,000,000 government services building that will destroy any hope for revitalization of Bailey’s Crossroads. We cannot wait any longer; citizens of Mason District must demand leadership that will listen.
Gary Aiken will fight for Mason’s priorities: revitalization of our neighborhoods, safety of our citizens, and fiscal sanity in the budget process.
Election day is November 5, 2019.
Learn more about Gary Aiken and his campaign by visiting www.thegpac.com.
Name: Ted Generous, Campaign Manager
Mailing Address: 6920B Bradlick Shopping Center, Suite 612, Annandale, VA 22003